Neurodiversity in the Workplace Curriculum
Autism Speaks partners with The Arc of Philadelphia to open-source curriculumBy Dave Kearon August 23, 2018
As Autism Speaks looks toward solutions for adults with autism in employment, open-sourced information like the Neurodiversity in the Workplace Curriculum by The Arc of Philadelphia is critical to share with our community.
"A great honor to collaborate with Robert Naseef, Tanya Regli, and others in developing the open source Neurodiversity in the Workplace Curriculum as a key step in making fulfilling and productive employment for autistic adults and others with differences the rule rather than the exception. Freely available to all," says Autism Speaks board member Stephen Shore.
The Neurodiversity in the Workplace Initiative supports potential candidates with autism, as well as their future managers and coworkers. The initiative is divided into a series of sections, with specific areas in mind, including:
- Expected Outcomes. What participants and management can expect from the training program
- Core Learning Concepts and Training Modules. What materials and training best fit individual and organizational needs
- Opportunities for Expansion. How potential employers can leverage the training for a broader impact
- Next Steps. How to seamlessly integrate The Arc of Philadelphia’s talent pool into your organization
Once the right candidate is identified, we provide enterprise readiness training—in addition to the professional and social skills training already provided—to prepare your employee for your unique culture.
We train candidates for:
- Self-advocacy to promote independence
- Managing sensory differences
- Emotional regulation and expression
- Understanding the unwritten rules of the workplace
- Teamwork with managers and colleagues
- Navigating e-communications
We also offer you services designed to foster a productive, neurodiverse workforce by:
- Directing your staff on how to work with a colleague who has Autism
- Assigning dedicated team members to your office
- Working closely with your HR team to offer ongoing support to both your new employee and staff