World Autism Month FAQ
What is World Autism Month?
Every April Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month, beginning with United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. Throughout the month, we focus on sharing stories and providing opportunities to increase understanding and acceptance of people with autism, fostering worldwide support. This year, we are committed to keeping the spirit of the month alive, as now more than ever we know the autism community needs support, kindness and compassion.
What is the Kindness Campaign and how can I participate?
To kick off World Autism Month, Autism Speaks is celebrating 15 years as an organization with the Kindness Campaign, an initiative that invites people around the globe to create a kinder, more inclusive world for people with autism. To make 2020 the “Year of Kindness,” the organization is inviting supporters to achieve one million acts of kindness, big and small.
How can I participate in the Kindness Campaign?
While we may be staying home, there is power in kindness and one small act can have a ripple effect to foster kindness in our communities.
Supporters can participate in the initiative by visiting autismspeaks.org/kindness where they can:
- Complete an act of kindness virtually or in your home and take the online pledge.
- Share on social media with the “I Pledged” badge and nominate three others to do the same, joining a challenge to spread kindness far and wide.
- Donate or start a Facebook Fundraiser to benefit Autism Speaks.
- Sign up to host a Kindness Break to spread kindness virtually in the community while raising crucial funds to fuel the mission.
- Access resources to make sharing kindness easy.
- Access tools to advocate with and for people with autism in local communities.
- Shop for kindness-themed apparel to proudly display a commitment to kindness.
Other ways to participate include wearing blue on April 2, lighting buildings blue and exploring stories and photos shared by the diverse autism community.
What is Light It Up Blue?
The Light It Up Blue initiative was created by Autism Speaks in 2010. Since that time, joined by the international autism community, hundreds of thousands of landmarks, buildings, homes and communities around the world light blue on World Autism Awareness Day (April 2) in recognition of people with autism.
With the recent Autism Speaks logo change from blue to the spectrum of colors, can I still “Light It Up Blue?”
Yes! Autism Speaks is still rooted in our legacy blue.
Where can I get items to show my support of Autism Speaks?
Please visit the Autism Speaks eStore to purchase t-shirts, bracelets, pins, yard signs and other promotional products to spread kindness. Printed materials such as posters, flyers and brochures can be downloaded for free from the resources page.
How can I light my home blue?
You can purchase Phillips Autism Speaks blue light bulbs at Home Depot stores or visit www.homedepot.com and search "Autism Speaks Lights."
I want to light my commercial building or public structure blue. What resources are available?
Visit www.rosco.com/LIUB for information on commercial lighting options.
How can I share my WAM photos online?
Download our Selfie Frame to use and show your support for people with autism. Then share photos by posting them with the hashtag #LightItUpBlue and #kindnesscounts to Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Instagram.
Can I use the Autism Speaks World Autism Month marks for my event/fundraiser?
- The logo must remain intact. You may not change or add anything to it.
- You may not place the logo on any product or use for selling purposes.
- In the US, any fundraising activity utilizing the World Autism Month marks (or any Autism Speaks marks) must have the authorization of Autism Speaks. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and an Autism Speaks representative will contact you directly to review guidelines.
Where can I get the World Autism Month logo?
Can my charity participate in World Autism Month activities? Can we raise funds for autism-related resources?
What if I want to have a Facebook Fundraiser?
That's a great idea! And easy too! Here's how:
- Click Fundraisers in the left menu of your Facebook Page News Feed
- Click Raise Money
- Select Autism Speaks as your Nonprofit/Charity
- Select a charitable organization, choose a cover photo and fill in the fundraiser details
- Click Create
How can I get a receipt for my online donation?
All online donations are acknowledged at the time of donation and through email confirmation. We recommend that donors print out their acknowledgement or save the email for tax purposes.
Email us at email@example.com