World Autism Month FAQ
What is World Autism Month?
Every April Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month, beginning with United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. Throughout the month, we focus on sharing stories and providing opportunities to increase understanding and acceptance of people with autism, fostering worldwide support. This year, we are committed to creating a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential.
How can I participate?
Everyone is encouraged to participate. Whether you have autism, love someone who does, or are looking to support a diverse, accepting and kind community – you’re invited to take the pledge to help create a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential.
Supporters can participate in the initiative by visiting autismspeaks.org/wam where they can:
- Visit autismspeaks.org/WAM and take the pledge to create a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential by increasing understanding and acceptance. You’ll receive free information, resources and tools to engage and advocate in your community and learn the impact of your support through Autism Speaks.
- Join our 2.8 million social followers and help foster understanding and acceptance by sharing the diverse stories of people on the spectrum or telling your own. Submit your story for our social media pages here.
- Invite your colleagues, classroom and friends to join our Kindness Campaign and encourage acceptance, understanding and inclusion with daily acts of kindness at school, work or in your community. Together, we can create a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential.
- Make a meaningful, lasting impact for people with autism with your gift. It’s one of the easiest and best ways to show your support. Donate today!
- Learn about all the ways you can fundraise on social media.
How can I start an Autism Speaks Facebook Fundraiser?
That's a great idea! And easy too! Follow these simple steps:
- Click Fundraisers in the left menu of your Facebook Page News Feed
- Click Raise Money
- Select Autism Speaks as your Nonprofit/Charity
- Select a charitable organization, choose a cover photo and fill in the fundraiser details
- Click Create
Where can I get items to show my support of Autism Speaks?
Please visit the Autism Speaks eStore to purchase t-shirts, bracelets, pins, yard signs and other promotional products to spread kindness. Printed materials such as posters, flyers and brochures can be downloaded for free.
Can I use the Autism Speaks World Autism Month marks for my event/fundraiser?
- The logo must remain intact. You may not change or add anything to it.
- You may not place the logo on any product or use for selling purposes.
- In the US, any fundraising activity utilizing the World Autism Month marks (or any Autism Speaks marks) must have the authorization of Autism Speaks. Contact email@example.com and an Autism Speaks representative will contact you directly to review guidelines.
Can my charity participate in World Autism Month activities? Can we raise funds for autism-related resources?
What is Light It Up Blue?
The Light It Up Blue initiative was created by Autism Speaks in 2010. Since that time, joined by the international autism community, hundreds of thousands of landmarks, buildings, homes and communities around the world light blue on World Autism Awareness Day (April 2) in recognition of people with autism.
How can I light my home, commercial building or public structure blue?
You can purchase Phillips Autism Speaks blue light bulbs at Home Depot stores or visit www.homedepot.com and search "Autism Speaks Lights." Visit www.rosco.com/LIUB for information on commercial lighting options.
How can I get a receipt for my online donation?
All online donations are acknowledged at the time of donation and through email confirmation. We recommend that donors print out their acknowledgement or save the email for tax purposes.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org