World Autism Month FAQ
What is World Autism Month?
Every April Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month beginning with United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. Throughout the month, we focus on coming together in unity and collaboration by fostering worldwide support, sharing stories and connecting to create a more inclusive world. This year, we are committed to standing together to make a world of difference where all people with autism can reach their full potential.
How can I participate?
Everyone is encouraged to participate. Whether you have autism, love someone who does or are looking to support a diverse, accepting and inclusive community – you’re invited to pledge your support to stand together to make a world of difference for all people with autism.
Visit autismspeaks.org/WAM to:
- Pledge: Make a world of difference by pledging your support and uploading your photo to become part of our worldwide mosaic of unity and collaboration.
- Give: Make a meaningful, lasting impact for people with autism with your gift. It’s one of the easiest and best ways to show your support. Donate today!
- Share: Join our 2.8 million social community and help foster understanding and acceptance by sharing the stories of people on the spectrum or telling your own. Submit your story here.
- Connect: Engage in random acts of kindness at school, work and in your community. Join our Kindness Campaign and create a kinder, more inclusive world for autistic people.
- Discover other ways to get involved.
How can I start an Autism Speaks Facebook Fundraiser?
That's a great idea! And easy too! Follow these simple steps:
- Click Fundraisers in the left menu of your Facebook Page News Feed
- Click Raise Money
- Select Autism Speaks as your Nonprofit/Charity
- Select a charitable organization, choose a cover photo and fill in the fundraiser details
- Click Create
Where can I get items to show my support of Autism Speaks?
Please visit the Autism Speaks eStore to purchase t-shirts, bracelets, pins, yard signs and other promotional products to spread kindness. Printed materials such as posters, flyers and brochures can be downloaded for free.
Can I use the Autism Speaks World Autism Month marks for my event/fundraiser?
- The logo must remain intact. You may not change or add anything to it.
- You may not place the logo on any product or use for selling purposes.
- In the US, any fundraising activity utilizing the World Autism Month marks (or any Autism Speaks marks) must have the authorization of Autism Speaks. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org and an Autism Speaks representative will contact you directly to review guidelines.
Can my charity participate in World Autism Month activities? Can we raise funds for autism-related resources?
What is Light It Up Blue?
The Light It Up Blue initiative was created by Autism Speaks in 2010. Since that time, joined by the international autism community, hundreds of thousands of landmarks, buildings, homes and communities around the world light blue on World Autism Awareness Day (April 2) in recognition of people with autism.
How can I light my home, commercial building or public structure blue?
You can purchase Phillips Autism Speaks blue light bulbs at Home Depot stores or visit www.homedepot.com and search "Autism Speaks Lights." Visit www.rosco.com/LIUB for information on commercial lighting options.
How can I get a receipt for my online donation?
All online donations are acknowledged at the time of donation and through email confirmation. We recommend that donors print out their acknowledgement or save the email for tax purposes.