Autism Speaks U is a collegiate program that supports students, faculty and alumni in their awareness and fundraising efforts for Autism Speaks. Chapters follow the lead of their Presidents and Vice Presidents, who are made up of students on the spectrum, students who have family members or friends on the spectrum, or students who want to make a difference in the autism community.
The program’s inaugural event took place at Penn State University in 2006 and Autism Speaks U launched nationally in 2008. Autism Speaks U events have raised millions of dollars and collegiate teams from our Autism Speaks Walk have brought in millions more!
The Student Initiatives Team at Autism Speaks guides students through the process of starting chapters and planning events, while connecting them with their local community and college students across the country.
Why Should You Join?
Joining or starting an Autism Speaks U chapter at your college/university will help you learn to serve as a leader and autism advocate on campus and in the local community. Here are a few other reasons why you should join the Autism Speaks U family:
- To gain professional experience for your resume and earn volunteer hours.
- To acquire skills in marketing, fundraising, event planning, volunteer development and community outreach.
- To connect with leaders and experts on autism for advice, ideas and future opportunities.
- To help Autism Speaks change the future for all who struggle with autism.
- To collaborate with other Autism Speaks U students from schools nationwide.