School Community Tool Kit
This kit provides helpful information about students with autism to promote understanding and acceptance at school. It includes tools and strategies to increase learning for all members of the school community.
The School Community Tool Kit is broken down into sections:
- About the School Community Tool Kit
- Information about the resources included, a section on how to use the tool kit, a note to families and caregivers, an "About Me" profile form, and more.
- About Autism
- In addition to general information about autism, this section includes information about:
- Social symptoms
- Physical and medical issues
- Additional challenges
- Unique abilities that may accompany autism
- The School Community
- Specific resources and information for:
- School administrators
- Bus drivers/transportation supervisors
- Custodial staff
- Lunch and recess aides
- Office staff
- Security officers
- Educating Students with Autism
- Topics include:
- The rights of students with autism
- Instructional methods in teaching students
- Assistive technologies
- Therapies used
- Ideas for a team approach
- Supporting Learning in the Student with Autism
- Topics include:
- Supporting communication
- Organizational and sensory needs
- Improving social interaction and development
- Ideas for preventing behavior
- Web, Print and Video Resources
- A list of various resources for all members of the school community.
- Insights, strategies, assessments, handbooks, and lots more!
This tool kit is not intended to be a curriculum for special education for students on the autism spectrum, but rather a support for the general education and administrative school staff who interact with students with autism in various capacities. However, it is envisioned that this tool kit will provide valuable information and resources that can be employed by special education and administrative staff in their efforts to plan for and support students in general education environments and involvement in the school community as a whole.
Complete the form below to access the Tool Kit
If you are not able to see the form, click here.
By submitting this form you will receive periodic communications from Autism Speaks. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Our Autism Response Team (ART) is specially trained to connect people with autism, their families, and caretakers to information, tools, and resources.