Autism-related guidelines for healthcare providers
The journal Pediatrics publishes guidance on recognizing and managing the physical and mental health conditions that often accompany autism
October 22, 2018
In recent years, the journal Pediatrics has published several special issues on the healthcare of children and teens with autism.
The leadership of the Autism Speaks Autism Treatment Network (ATN) spearheaded the development of these medical guidelines and reports, as part of the ATN’s federally funded role as the nation’s Autism Intervention Research Network on Physical Health (AIR-P).
The following open-access articles provide guidance for healthcare professionals on many of the physical, mental health and behavioral challenges that commonly accompany autism. (The ATN/AIR-P is currently working on its next Pediatrics supplement on autism healthcare, expected in 2020.)
GI and nutrition
- Management of Constipation in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Nutrient Intake from Food in Children with Autism
- Iron Status in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- A Practice Pathway for the Identification, Evaluation, and Management of Insomnia in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- The Relationship Between Sleep Problems and Daytime Behavior in Children of Different Ages with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Sleep Difficulties and Medications in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Registry Study
Anxiety and depression
- Medical and Behavioral Correlates of Depression History in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Assessment and Treatment of Anxiety in Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Clinical Practice Pathways for Evaluation and Medication Choice for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Symptoms, Adaptive Functioning, and Quality of Life in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Autism and challenging behavior
- Use of Psychotropic Medication in Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Irritability and Problem Behavior in Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Practice Pathway for Pediatric Primary Care
- Telehealth and Autism: Treating Challenging Behavior at Lower Cost
- Pharmacologic Treatment of Severe Irritability and Problem Behaviors in Autism: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Nonmedical Interventions for Children with ASD: Recommended Guidelines and Further Research Needs
- Long-term Outcomes of Toddlers with Autism Spectrum Disorders Exposed to Short-term Intervention
- Autism Spectrum Disorders and Developmental Disabilities in Children from Immigrant Families in the United States
- Pattern of Diagnosis and Co-occurring Symptoms in Adopted Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Access the full 2014 Pediatrics supplement on autism healthcare.
Access the full 2016 Pediatrics supplement on autism healthcare.