What We’re Doing
- Autism Speaks, Best Buddies and Special Olympics, in partnership with the Entertainment Industry Foundation, are teaming up to launch Delivering Jobs, an inclusion campaign dedicated to equipping people with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences with the resources and skills needed for employment and leadership opportunities.
- Launching on January 1, 2020, the goal of Delivering Jobs is to create pathways to one million employment and leadership opportunities for people with autism, intellectual and/or development differences by 2025.
Why We're Launching Delivering Jobs
- There are approximately 6.5 million people in the U.S. with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences. 81% of adults (18+) with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences do not have a paid job in their community. Because of this, Delivering Jobs is working to encourage employers of all sizes to recognize and embrace this qualified labor force.
- People with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences have proven to be dependable, motivated employees who help create inclusive office environments that are attractive to job seekers.
- Companies that employ people with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences see a myriad of real business benefits, including better morale and improved products, services and bottom lines due to lower defect rates and higher productivity (according to the Harvard Business Review).
How We’re Doing It
- Delivering Jobs will create pathways to leadership and employment opportunities for people with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences by providing them with the resources needed for jobs and leadership positions, offering workplace development resources for employers, and increasing awareness about the low rate of employment for this community, while also engaging the public to advocate for inclusion and equality.
Taking the Pledge
- We’re challenging corporations of all sizes to create pathways to employment and leadership opportunities for people with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences by taking the Delivering Jobs pledge to: 1) re-evaluate company hiring practices, 2) increase hiring efforts so that people with autism, intellectual and/or developmental differences have access to at least 1% of employment and leadership opportunities within their companies, and 3) create inclusive support systems that invest in the long-term success of intellectually diverse employees.
- To take the pledge, companies can go to DeliveringJobs.org. They can also access resources and expert guidance designed specifically for employers.
- Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of people with autism and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions.
- Best Buddies is dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- Special Olympics transforms lives through the power of sports, helping people with intellectual and/or developmental differences discover new strengths and abilities, skills and success and ultimately delivering joy, confidence and fulfillment on the playing field and in life.
- Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF) mobilizes and leverages the powerful voice and creative talents of the entertainment industry and cultivates the support of organizations (public and private) and philanthropists committed to social responsibility. EIF builds awareness and raises funds, developing and enhancing programs on the local, national and global level that facilitate positive social change.