Update on Autism Speaks diversity, equity, access and inclusion (DEAI) efforts - FY22 Q3January 28, 2022
At Autism Speaks, we are working to achieve a world where all people with autism, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, can reach their full potential – inclusive of all abilities, ages, races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, socioeconomic status, and belief systems.
With this in mind, we want to share an update on our diversity, equity, access and inclusion (DEAI) efforts for the third quarter (October 2021 – December 2021) of our 2021 – 2022 fiscal year. Recognizing that this important work will take time, we are committed to serving everyone with autism and their families by improving the representation of this diverse community in our content, expanding the reach of our resources and increasing inclusive practices in our workplace.
Please see below for our work underway to date:
Expand inclusion within marketing and storytelling
- We are continuing a comprehensive audit of our marketing and web pages to measure the diversity of our materials.
- We are have started a comprehensive audit of our social media channels to measure to diversity of our posts
Ensure resources are inclusive and accessible to underserved populations
- The Autism Response Team has started to translate key materials used to better serve our Spanish-speaking constituents over the phone, email and chat. So far dozens of resources have been translated and we will continue this effort to improve our support of the Spanish-speaking community.
- Our bilingual Autism Response Team associates presented a live webinar on “New Diagnoses for National Hispanic Heritage Month” via our “Voces Latinas” Facebook page. Positive results from the event included but were not limited to:
- 119 attendees joining the live event in real time
- 20+ comments or questions submitted by attendees
- 1,000 views post event with 55% engagement on the post
Increase inclusive practices in the workplace
- We completed a five-part DEAI training program for employees.
- We are seeing progress with our Employee Resource Group (ERG) program.
- We have executed a strategy for a more inclusive talent acquisition.