On Friday, January 10, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announced a final rule concerning Medicaid home and community-based services (HCBS). The rule aims to enhance the quality of HCBS programs and provide additional protections to individuals receiving these services. In addition, this rule seeks to ensure that individuals receiving services and supports through Medicaid’s HCBS programs have full access to the benefits of community living and are able to receive services in the most integrated setting.
Among the enhancements to Medicaid HCBS, the final rule:
- Establishes requirements for home and community-based settings in HCBS programs
- Creates a more outcome-oriented definition of home and community-based settings, rather than one based only on a setting’s location, geography or physical characteristics
- Defines person-centered planning requirements and specifies that service planning for participants in Medicaid HCBS programs must be developed in a manner that reflects individual preferences and goals
- Offers states options with which to provide expanded home and community-based services and to combine multiple target populations (such as individuals with autism) into one waiver to streamline the administration of HCBS waivers
These regulatory changes are intended to maximize the opportunities for HCBS program participants to have access to the benefits of community living and to receive services in the most integrated setting.
On Monday, January 13 we held a live chat called "New CMS Ruling: What is the Impact on the Autism Community?" with Autism Speaks Director of Adult Services Leslie Long and Senior Policy Counsel Stuart Spielman. See the archive below.
The final rule is available on display at the Federal Register here.
A fact sheet with additional information can be found here.
There will be a CMS webinar open to the public on the following dates:
- January 23, 2014: 1:00pm - 3:00pm Public Webinar on HCBS Final Rule
- January 30, 2014: 1:00pm - 3:00pm (repeat) Public Webinar on HCBS Final Rule
Registration information will be posted soon!