"Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much."
- Helen Keller
Autism can be diagnosed as early as 24 months, and early intervention can make a lifetime of difference. Unfortunately, many children remain undiagnosed until school age.
Autism Speaks is partnering with organizations and businesses, including the types listed at the bottom of this page. We need your help to lower the average age of diagnosis and improve children's access to evidence-based early intervention services.
Would you like to participate in Autism Speaks Early Access to Care Initiative? Have ideas about how to lower the age of diagnosis and improve access to early intervention in your community? We would love to hear from you!
What Can You Do?
- Work with local and national organizations to coordinate efforts.
- Communicate the benefits of early detection and intervention.
- Focus efforts on communities that need your help the most.
- Provide materials, resources and information to families in need.
What Are We Doing?
- Raising awareness about the early signs of autism and the importance of early intervention
- Providing resources to community-based organizations, professionals and families
- Training professionals to spread the word about evidence-based practices
- Supporting community screening events
- Advocating for state autism health insurance coverage and national coverage under the Affordable Care Act
- Funding research on early detection and access to care
- Evaluating changes in the average age of diagnosis and access to care to ensure that we're making progress
How Can We Work Together?
- Distribute materials and resources. To download an Early Access to Care flyer click here.
- Make copies of the flyer available at your place of business.
- Consider ways to reach a broader audience and meet the needs of your community.
- Visit town hall meetings to spread the word.
- Share your resources and materials with us so we can help reach a wider audience.
If you belong to any of the organizations below, we want to hear from you. Email us at email@example.com.
Community Service Groups
Community Action Groups
Day Care Providers
Family Resource Centers
Community Health Centers
Mental Health Department
Walk in Clinics
City, County, State or Federal Government Agencies
Head Start Programs
Housing Authority Offices
Social Security Offices
Local Businesses/Community Centers