Family members and friends of individuals with autism are presented with many joys and many challenges throughout their lives. Learning that a family member or friend is affected by autism is a powerful moment. People respond with a wide array of emotions: shock, grief, fear, denial, anger, acceptance, and many more. Many begin to feel their lives will never be the same. Parents can feel overwhelmed, siblings can feel isolated, grandparents can feel helpless, and friends can feel apprehensive.
In an effort to ease the fears of and provide encouragement to all people with individuals with autism in their lives, Autism Speaks has created 4 support tool kits, each designed specifically for the following groups:
The purpose of each kit is to help teach family members and friends more about autism and its effects on families, and provide resources and support to enable them to lead happy and successful lives with their loved ones with autism.
This tool kit is specifically designed for parents of children diagnosed with autism. This Tool Kit will help parents:
- Learn about autism and how it may impact your family.
- Find strategies and resources for raising a child with autism.
- Find support so you don't feel alone or isolated.
- Reduce the negative impact of the diagnosis on your family.
- Promote a positive future for your child and family.
Click here to read A Parent's Guide to Autism.
This tool kit is for anyone who has a brother or sister diagnosed with autism. Though the guide has been designed for children ages 6-12, the information can be adapted as needed to other age and education levels. The guide is written in an interactive format so parents and siblings can set aside some quiet time to read the guide together. The intention is to create an opportunity for siblings to focus on their feelings, reactions to their sibling’s diagnosis and get information about autism.
Click here to read A Sibling's Guide to Autism.
This tool kit is designed specifically for grandparents of people who have been diagnosed with autism. This tool kit will help grandparents to:
- Learn about autism and its impact on your family.
- Discover ways to support your children who may be struggling with their child's autism diagnosis.
- Find out ways to develop the best relationship you can with your grandchildren.
- Feel support and encouraged so you do not feel lonely or overwhelmed.
Click here to read A Grandparent's Guide to Autism.
Clic aquí para Autismo: Una Guía Para Abuelos.
This tool kit is specifically designed for friends of families affected by autism. This tool kit will serve as a guide to help you learn:
- More about autism.
- How your friend may be feeling if this is a new diagnosis.
- How to support your friend.
- How you and your family can interact with and support the person with autism.
Click here to read A Friend's Guide to Autism.