New! The 2014 Baker Summer Camp Program application is now closed.
The Autism Speaks Baker Summer Camp Program selects eligible camps in the United States to identify qualified campers and offer scholarship funds for financially disadvantaged children with Autism Spectrum Disorder to attend a summer camp.
Note: Individuals may not apply for the program. If you are an individual interested in obtaining a scholarship for your child, please encourage your local camp to apply for a scholarship fund.
Please read the information below to learn more about the program:
- February 3: Application available online
- March 10: Deadline for application, must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST
- March 14-April 11: Volunteer Review Committee reviews and ranks all applications
- April 21: High scoring camps are invited to participate in Camp Scholarship Fund and sent scholarship camper information forms and grant contracts
- May 21: Waivers, agreements and scholarship statements are signed and returned.
- May 26-June 16: Funding processed to Camps.
- August 29: Final Evaluation Reports returned.
Autism Speaks Baker Summer Camp Program will select eligible camps to identify scholarship campers and offers up to $5,000 in scholarship funds for campers with Autism Spectrum Disorder to attend a summer camp.
Camp Scholarship Fund applications must be submitted electronically using the Autism Speaks Online Grant System. Applications that are late, incomplete, or do not adhere to the required format will not be reviewed.
Clickfor the Online Camp Scholarship Fund Application!
All Camps providing a summer camp program to financially disadvantaged individuals with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder are eligible to apply for a Camp Scholarship Fund through the Autism Speaks Baker Summer Camp Program.
Camps selected to participate in the Camp Scholarship Fund are responsible for selecting Scholarship Campers. A Scholarship Camper has: 1) a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, 2) is financially disadvantaged, and 3) through camp participation has the opportunity for individual growth and development.
Selected Camps will provide a detailed accounting of the Camp Scholarship Fund. Camper and family evaluation of the Scholarship Camper's experience is provided to Autism Speaks.
Autism Speaks recruits members for the Autism Speaks' Baker Summer Camp Program Review Committee. The national committee will be composed of families affected by autism, individuals with autism, and autism professionals. The Committee reviews eligible applications and selects camps to receive a Camp Scholarship Fund.
The Review Committee reviews and ranks applications based on the following criteria:
- Overall camp program design and available activities
- Approach to serving individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Camp offers a wide ranger of opportunities for inclusion of campers with autism with age-appropriate peers
- Location of the camp is readily accessible to underserved communities
- Camp staff is provided with training in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Camp administration has a clear, fair, and easily documented process for selecting Scholarship Campers
Camps will be reviewed based on the information presented in the online application.
Conflicts of Interest include but are not limited to a pre-existing relationship between a Camp and a Member of the Review Committee. All conflicts must be declared at the beginning of the process. Anyone with a conflict of interest is not permitted to review the declared application.
All recommendations made by the Review Committee are based on information presented in the online application.
Since 2010, over 1,400 camp scholarships totaling $689,000 have been awarded by 250 camps across the country through the Autism Speaks Baker Summer Camp Scholarship Program. All camps in the U.S. that provide a summer program to financially disadvantaged individuals with autism were eligible to apply.
Click the links below to see the camps we've funded over the past four summers:
Autism Speaks encourages individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder to contact local camp organizations in order to take advantage of this unique opportunity. Clickto visit our Resource Guide and search for Camps in your area.
Clickto view our Summer Camps Community Connections page. To view our Community Connections page on How to Choose A Summer Camp, click .
For more information about the Baker Summer Camp Grant program, contact Serena Selkin, Assistant Director, Family Services Grants at email@example.com.